Press release from City of Gainesville
The City of Gainesville has declared a local state of emergency today, July 6, 2021, due to Tropical Storm Elsa. A tropical storm warning was issued for our area earlier today as Elsa continues to move to the north. Sustained winds are expected in our area after midnight, during early morning hours.
The City expects to open its Emergency Operations Center later today to officially coordinate all preparedness, response, and recovery actions of its departments to keep all neighbors safe. The public will be notified if and when emergency shelters open.
- Closing today: All city parks will close beginning at 5 p.m. today and remain closed tomorrow. All City pools, as well as Ironwood Golf Course, will close at 7 p.m. today and remain closed tomorrow.
- Closed tomorrow, July 7: City of Gainesville offices will be closed July 7. Gainesville Regional Utilities lobby and drive-through will be closed July 7. Nature and Recreation Summer Camps will be canceled July 7. (Alachua County, University of Florida, Santa Fe College, and Alachua County Public Schools offices are closed and classes are canceled July 7.)
- Bus service: Regional Transit System (RTS) will operate on reduced service tomorrow, July 7. RTS service will be suspended when area winds reach 35 mph. Visit www.go-rts.com for additional details.
- Solid Waste collection: Residential trash pickup will be delayed by one day.
- Sandbags: Sandbags are available to all county residents. Visit this page for details.
- Please call 352-334-2871 to report power outages and 352-334-2550 to report natural gas emergencies.
- Please report any storm-related issues such as flooding, blocked streets, etc. online at www.myGNV.org, or use the myGNV mobile app available for download at www.myGNV.org. To report issues by phone, please call 352-334-5070.