Press release from Alachua County Library District
Dive into Summer at the Library: Oceans of Possibilities with the Alachua County Library District May 28-July 31 with programs for all ages and opportunities to win prizes all summer. Participants will receive a free tote bag with a book upon registering while supplies last.
Sign up and track your reading and summer fun using our Beanstack website or app for chances to win a tablet from PDQ Restaurant and weekly pizza prizes from Five Star Pizza. Register and kick off the summer at Reader Palooza from 10 a.m.- noon Saturday, June 4, at Depot Park. After you sign up for Summer at the Library and receive your tote bag, play games with community partners including Santa Fe College Teaching Zoo, Fun 4 Gator Kids, the Harn Museum of Art, Giggle Magazine, and more.
If you can’t make it to Reader Palooza, register online at www.aclib.us/summer or any library branch. All 12 library locations will hold special programs throughout the summer for kids, teens, and adults, including art classes, STEM activities, craft lessons, and story times. Registration is required for some programs; visit www.aclib.us/events to sign up. Summer highlights include the following events:
- Oceans Down Under, 3 p.m. Saturday, May 28, live on Zoom and Facebook
- This live-streamed event for all ages will take us on a journey to the Great Barrier Reef to meet Australian sea creatures and dance to the rhythms of the didgeridoo.
- Ocean Tales, 2 p.m. Tuesdays in June and July, live on Zoom and Facebook
- Meet marine animal friends, including manatees, sea turtles, and dolphins from Florida zoos, museums, and aquariums.
- Battle of the Books
- Teens can register and receive three free books for this annual trivia competition. Patrons ages 11 to 17 can sign up now and select which library branch team they’d like to compete with during the Battle of the Books at 2 p.m. July 23 on Zoom. Thank you to RTI Surgical for supporting this program.
Visit www.aclib.us/summer for the full schedule of programs and reading lists for all ages, including 2022 Summer Picks for elementary and secondary school readers created by the Alachua County Library District and Alachua County Public Schools. All Summer at the Library programs are free and open to everyone.
“Explore new ideas, stories, and skills with the Library District this summer,” said Library Director Shaney Livingston. “The whole family can keep learning together with Summer at the Library across Alachua County.”
Thank you to our 2022 Summer at the Library sponsors RTI Surgical, PDQ Restaurant, MARC Radio, Five Star Pizza, and Friends of the Library.