Gainesville’s Holiday Home Tour returns Saturday, December 11
Press release from Matheson History Museum
Gainesville’s cherished holiday event is back! On December 11th from 5:00 p.m. to 7:30 p.m., attendees will be able to tour four historic Victorian homes in Gainesville’s Historic Bed and Breakfast District– 1867 Matheson House, Sweetwater Branch Inn, Laurel Oak Inn, and Magnolia Plantation Bed & Breakfast – plus the Matheson History Museum and its Tison Tool Barn.
- Matheson House – 528 SE 1st Avenue
- Constructed in 1867 by James and Augusta Matheson
- Sweetwater Branch Inn – 625 E University Avenue
- The Inn has several structures including The McKenzie House, constructed in 1895, and the Cushman-Colson house, constructed in 1885 by the Cushman family
- Laurel Oak Inn – 221 SE 7th Street
- Constructed in 1885 by Wilburn and Fanny Lassiter
- Magnolia Plantation Bed & Breakfast – 309 SE 7th Street
- Constructed in 1885 by Dudley and Melinza Williams and owned by the Emmet Baird family for 70 years
Tickets are $15 and will go on sale Saturday, November 13 at https://www.simpletix.com/e/2021-holiday-homes-tour-tickets-80397. Proceeds will benefit the Matheson History Museum. The walking tour is less than a mile and begins at the Matheson at 5 p.m. Guests will enjoy their holiday adventure in small groups led by guides. Refreshments such as spiced cider and holiday cookies will be provided at the Matheson. Parking is available at the Matheson, next door at the law offices of Folds & Walker, and at the Alachua County Public Schools District Offices.
This event is sponsored in part by Visit Gainesville/Alachua County, FL and by the Department of State, Division of Cultural Affairs, the Florida Council of the Arts and Culture, and the State of Florida.