GFR and ACFR contain grease fire in kitchen

Press release from Gainesville Fire Rescue

Gainesville Fire Rescue (GFR) and Alachua County Fire Rescue (ACFR) crews responded to a residential fire at 1037 NE 23rd Avenue at about 2:00 p.m. on September 1. Six crews from GFR responded, along with an ACFR rescue unit in case of injury. The first unit to arrive described heavy smoke coming from the residence, and the crews quickly entered the home, extinguishing the fire and containing it within the kitchen. Meanwhile, another squad completed a search of the home, ensuring that everyone had gotten out. Fortunately, the homeowner had already safely evacuated the house before GFR units began offensive operations.

The American Red Cross will be assisting with finding shelter for two adults. The fire was caused by grease due to cooking.