fbpx

GFR puts out kitchen fire in apartment

Press release from Gainesville Fire Rescue

On November 16, 2020 at approximately 8:34 p.m., Gainesville Fire Rescue responded to a report of a residential structure fire at 3009 SW Archer Road Apt J4. The resident said that she was cleaning her home when she looked up and saw black smoke overhead. She realized the fire was in the kitchen and grabbed her fire extinguisher to try and put the fire out. After her attempts were unsuccessful, she gathered her two children, exited the apartment, then called 911. A neighbor also tried to extinguish the fire with an extinguisher from his apartment but was also unsuccessful.

When crews arrived on scene, they went into offensive mode and stretched hand lines to combat the fire. The fire was extinguished in a matter of minutes, and the subsequent overhaul revealed there was no extension, so the surrounding apartments were spared from fire damage.  There was a small amount of water damage to the apartment below the fire, so the occupants were taken to a hotel until the onsite building maintenance deems the apartment safe.

Don't Miss a Post!

No injuries were sustained by the occupants or crews on scene.

Working smoke alarms are integral to provide occupants early warning to the presence of fire and deadly smoke.  Be vigilant and check your smoke detector batteries twice a year during daylight savings!!