Hawthorne residential fire confined to kitchen

Press release from Alachua County Fire Rescue

At approximately 3:30 p.m. on Saturday, May 21, crews from Alachua County Fire Rescue, Windsor Fire Rescue, and Melrose Fire Department were dispatched to a report of a residential structure fire. Upon arrival, crews from Alachua County Fire Rescue’s Hawthorne Station found smoke showing from a single family residence. They made entry and extinguished a fire in the kitchen. There were no injuries, and the initial arriving crew was able to make a quick stop on the fire before it spread to other areas of the home. Even though the fire spread was limited to the kitchen, the American Red Cross was contacted to assist the occupants.

ACFR would like to stress the importance of using caution while cooking and encourage everyone to ensure your smoke detectors are present and in working order. To learn more about the American Red Cross, visit www.redcross.org.