LifeSouth in Desperate Need of Blood Donations as Hurricane Eta Heads to Florida
Press release from LifeSouth Community Blood Centers
As Hurricane Eta makes landfall in Florida, LifeSouth Community Blood Centers needs blood donors to help the community blood supply, which continues to be dangerously low due to the impact of COVID-19 and prior storms.
LifeSouth urges regular and first-time donors to give blood as soon as possible.
LifeSouth officials report that Eta could not come at a worse time, as there is a national shortage of blood, and the storm will impact much-needed blood drives across the state. Blood donors are needed every day to make sure blood is available to help patients in local hospitals, as well as for communities directly impacted by natural disasters.
There is no substitute for human blood; every day, patients rely on blood donations from healthy individuals. Donating ensures blood will be available to help those who may be injured or need a blood transfusion to survive. Currently, all blood types are needed, especially type O donors.
LifeSouth supplies one hundred percent of the blood to all of the hospitals in Gainesville and the surrounding communities.
All blood donors receive a wellness screening prior to donation, and each donation will be tested for COVID-19 antibodies. To find a blood drive close to you or to learn more about the donation process, call LifeSouth’s toll-free number, 1-888-795-2707 or make an appointment at www.lifesouth.org.
Locally, donors can give blood with LifeSouth at the following locations:
Thursday, November 12
- Gainesville Health & Fitness Center-Women, 2441 NW 43rd Street 8 am – 6 pm
- Argos Cement Plant, 4000 NW County Road 235, Newberry 9 am – 5 pm
- UF Health IT, 3011 SW Williston Road 10 am – 5 pm
- Celebration Pointe-City Walk, 4949 Celebration Pointe Avenue 4 pm – 9 pm
- 13th Street Donor Center, 1221 NW 13th Street 10 am – 7 pm
- Newberry Road Donor Center, 4039 Newberry Road 10 am – 7 pm
- Alachua Donor Center, 15652 NW US Hwy. 441, Alachua 10 am – 7 pm
Friday, November 13
- James Moore & Company, 5931 NW 1st Place 9 am – 1 pm
- Fresh Market, 4120 NW 16th Boulevard 2 pm – 5:30 pm
- Tioga Town Center, Jonesville 105 SW 128th Street, Jonesville 10 am – 5 pm
- The Retreat Gainesville, 1111 SW 16th Avenue 11 am – 5 pm
- 13th Street Donor Center, 1221 NW 13th Street 9 am – 5:30 pm
- Newberry Road Donor Center, 4039 Newberry Road 9 am – 5:30 pm
- Alachua Donor Center, 15652 NW US Hwy. 441, Alachua 9 am – 5:30 pm