Commissioner Manny Diaz, Jr. announces May Books of the Month
Press release from Florida Department of Education
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. – Today, Florida Commissioner of Education Manny Diaz, Jr. announced May’s chosen books for the Commissioner’s Book of the Month, a monthly reading challenge to promote literacy and reading engagement in preK-12 schools. Each month, Commissioner Diaz highlights five recommended books – one per selected grade range.
“I’m excited for another month of promoting reading and learning,” said Education Commissioner Manny Diaz, Jr. “This month, we’re honoring the courage of Anne Frank and highlighting the important qualities of perseverance and confidence.”
The Commissioner’s recommendations for May 2023 are:
- PreK – I See Summer by Charles Ghigna
- Grades K-2 – The Little Butterfly That Could by Ross Burach
- Grades 3-5 – Charlie & Frog by Karen Kane
- Grades 6-8 – The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank
- Grades 9-12 – Inside Out and Back Again by Thanhhà Lai
The selections for each month can be found on the Commissioner’s Book of the Month page of the FDOE website.
Oh, ok. . . now we have a list of preferred books that aren’t banned–what a novel idea–something “positive”!