Landscape fertilizer ban in effect through February within Alachua County

Press release from Alachua County

ALACHUA COUNTY, Fla. – Alachua County’s landscape fertilizer regulations prohibit using landscape fertilizers with nitrogen from July through February and require that fertilizers containing nitrogen contain no less than 50 percent slow-release nitrogen. New regulations also prohibit phosphorus unless a deficiency is verified. The three numbers on a fertilizer bag are nitrogen, then phosphorus, and finally, potassium. This means the middle number on the bag must be zero unless you have conducted a soil or tissue test to verify the need for phosphorus. Signage about the fertilizer rules must be displayed at all stores that sell fertilizer. Alachua County Environmental Protection staff are currently distributing signage.

The ordinance also includes the following standards:

  • Fertilizers containing nitrogen or phosphorus may not be applied: when soils are saturated with water, before heavy rain, or for the first 30 days after seeding or sodding
  • Fertilizers spilled on impervious surfaces must be removed immediately and may not be blown or washed into stormwater systems or water bodies.
  • Fertilizers shall not be applied within a minimum of ten feet from any waterbody unless a deflector shield is used (then a minimum distance of three feet is required).
  • Grass clippings must be removed from streets, sidewalks, and driveways immediately.
  • Fertilizers must be stored in areas protected from rainfall and stormwater runoff.
  • All commercial and institutional applicators shall successfully complete the Florida Friendly Best Management Practices for Water Resources by the Green Industries training and carry evidence that they are an FDACS Commercial Fertilizer Applicator.

“Fertilizers are a source of pollution to our surface waters, groundwater, and springs, so we want to ensure that citizens are aware of the fertilizer ban,” said Alachua County Environmental Protection Department Water Resources Program Manager Stacie Greco. She continued, “In a recent survey, the percentage of residents reporting they don’t use fertilizers at all has increased from 55% to 68%.”

    • OK, thanks Democrats for working to conserve the quality of our springs and aquifer. It’s much more important than the stupid suburban aesthetic which contributes to their pollution.

    • More specifically, thanks to Alachua County, for caring and working to keep our water clean and making sure our kids and grandkids have the springs and rivers to enjoy.

      • Thanks to Alachua County 45% or more of lands will not only be owned by the county but the other 55% will be controlled by the county.

        Unfortunately they’ve overextended their resources, they’re not able to properly maintain all the land taken off the tax rolls. It’s all nice when it’s new but give it a couple years, sometimes months, and once the lustre & newness has worn off, it becomes like a kid’s birthday present from years back.

  • If the Democrats followed their own rules, the rest of us wouldn’t have to.

    • Gee, I remember when Republicans were for conservation. I guess they think now that with the end times coming, why bother. Our grandkids don’t need no stinking clean water, if they live that long.

      • Gee, I remember when you had an answer for everything but you somehow missed this one the other day…
        You talk about DeSantis having never run a business but fail to mention the failures of Poe, Hayes-Santos; the ineptness of Ward, no experience Arreola or Saco. Why is that exactly?

        Inquiring minds are waiting.

  • So here is a question. They want me to clean grass clippings from my driveway, the sidewalk, and the roadway. Why is that I see county, city, and state crews constantly mow and never clean up their grass clipping when they mow 441, SR 24, etc. Are they the county exempt from their own rules?

  • >