Press release from Nathan A. Skop Judicial Campaign
Former Florida Public Service Commissioner and attorney Nathan A. Skop has qualified to run for Circuit Court judge in the 8th Judicial Circuit Court. The 8th Judicial Circuit Court comprises Alachua, Baker, Bradford, Gilchrist, Levy, and Union counties. All registered voters in those counties can vote for Nathan Skop on August 23, 2022.
In announcing his candidacy for Circuit Court judge, Skop stated, “After much prayer and encouragement, I am humbly seeking election to be your next Circuit Court judge. I hope that voters will honor me with their support based upon our shared values, my experience, and my commitment to upholding the law and Constitution”.
Mr. Skop is an experienced attorney and has been a member of the Florida Bar in good standing for over 15 years. Skop is a Florida Supreme Court Certified Civil Mediator, served as a Guardian ad Litem, and served the state of Florida as a Commissioner on the Florida Public Service Commission. Skop is a “Double Gator” with degrees in Law (JD ’06) and Aerospace Engineering (BSASE ’91) from the University of Florida, along with a Master of Business Administration (MBA ’96) from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. Mr. Skop also completed the Mergers & Acquisitions Executive Education Program at the Wharton School of Business.
Upon graduating law school, Mr. Skop was appointed to serve the state of Florida as a Commissioner on the Florida Public Service Commission (FPSC). Commissioner Skop conducted evidentiary hearings, ruled on motions, ruled on objections, issued orders, wrote concurring and dissenting opinions, and adjudicated administrative law cases subject to direct appeal to the Florida Supreme Court. Every major newspaper in the state of Florida commended Commissioner Skop for his integrity, ethics, and qualifications while serving the state of Florida on the Florida Public Service Commission.
While attending law school, Mr. Skop completed a Judicial Externship in the Criminal Division of the 8th Judicial Circuit Court under the Hon. Robert P. Cates (Ret.), who subsequently swore Skop into the Florida Bar. Skop’s additional UF Law accomplishments include:
- Judge for UF Law Appellate Advocacy Oral Arguments (2006-2014; 2022);
- UF Supreme Court Chief Justice;
- UF Honor Court (prosecutor);
- Honors in Legal Research & Writing, Appellate Advocacy, and Trial Practice;
- Book Award – International Financial Crimes;
- Journal of Technology Law and Policy (grade-on; published case comment: Patent Law: Four Factors to Injunctions in the Wake of eBay, 12 U. Fla. J. Tech. L. & Pol’y , 135, 140 (2007));
- Teaching Assistant for first-year law students.
Prior to attending law school at age 37, Mr. Skop had a successful engineering and business career that included:
- Former engineer with Boeing (777 propulsion systems);
- Former engineer with General Dynamics (nuclear submarine propulsion);
- Gates Aerospace Batteries – Alachua (batteries for the Space Station);
- Managing renewable energy projects for the nation’s largest renewable provider.
For more information, visit www.skopforjudge.com (coming soon).